I never thought I’d say this about a salad but this was actually really delicious. Recently I’ve been trying to eat less meat, but I’ve never been a massive fan of salads – that was until I discovered goat’s cheese! It’s definitely not the cheapest type of cheese you can get (I paid £1.20 for 70g) but you only need a bit for this salad and it really makes all the difference.
When I first started fodmap I was very sad to lose my halloumi (to say I was addicted to the stuff is an understatement) but I think I’ve finally found a replacement in goat’s cheese. It has a lovely salty and creamy taste that I found works really well with the sweetness of grilled red peppers. This is a great salad to eat as a side, but if you want to be extra healthy and have it as a main just increase the quantities of all the veggies.
Ingredients (makes one side portion)
A Handful of Spinach
Half a Red Pepper sliced in strips
10 Green beans
Half a courgette thinly sliced
20g Goat’s Cheese (I used grerik)
- Place the green beans and courgette slices in a pan of boiling water. Allow to cook for 5 mins, until the courgette is softened. Remove the courgette slices and place on a baking tray covered in foil or baking paper. Leave the beans to continue cooking while you do the rest of the salad.
- Add the strips of pepper to the tray, sprinkle with a little salt and oil and grill for 8 to 10 minutes. The pepper should brown slightly at the edges.
- By this point the beans should be softened, drain and allow to fry on a low heat whilst you move on to the next step.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, leaving the courgettes on the tray. Put the slices of cheese in the place of the pepper. Continue to grill for a few minutes, turning the cheese half way through. Don’t worry if it starts to bubble up, just make sure you have placed it on some baking paper.
- Remove the courgette and cheese from the oven and take the beans off the hob. Assemble the pepper, beans, courgette slices and cheese on top of a bed of spinach.